As odd as it may seem, often organisations do not know what is in their boxes.
Imagine what it must be like to know that you have a few thousand boxes in off site storage but... you do not have a list of what files are in what boxes.
Since 1993 the Flying Filing Squad has completed many projects helping our customers sort out their off site storage. Over the years we have come across
- lists of files held by the customer that bear no resemblance to what is actually in the boxes
- files in boxes that are not on lists
- pertially full boxes
- empty boxes
- Christmas decorations
- dental equipment
- dirty cups and other detritus from the desks of people who have left the organisation
- thousands of files that could have legally been destroyed ten years previously
- many boxes holding publications that are not current
- boxes of unused stationery (usually with old brnading)
I reckon that organisations can reduce their off site holdings by 50 - 75 % immediately and over time reduce the number of boxes that are sent to off site storage.
Benefits include cost saving AND compliance with retention and disposal requirements